Most everyone knows that adding Google Analytics to a website helps supply invaluable data on website visitors. This data includes information on real time visitors (how many are currently visiting your website, where they are from, how they got to your website, and what pages they are looking at). Another section supplies data on audience demographics (male/female, age, visitor interests, technology used, and geographic information). A third section has information on how the website attracted the visitor (advertising campaigns, social media, organic search). But this data only goes so far. An often-overlooked feature of Google Analytics is tracking how many visitors convert to leads. Discover how to track conversions with Google Analytics.

Improve marketing results

Marketing studies estimate that online advertising results in a 1-3% success rate (i.e. for every 2000 people who see your ad, 20-60 visit your website). From this number, around 5% (1 to 3 people) become customers (i.e. they buy your product or service). What about the remaining 95%?

Your website must have a way to convert visitors to leads. This can take many forms (i.e. a contact form, newsletter sign-up, blog post subscription, free offer, etc.). Crucial to lead generation is having a method to capture the visitor’s email address. With their email address, you can directly target interested individuals with relevant information about your products and services.

No default conversion tracking

Tracking conversions in Google Analytics is not set up on the default installation. You must set up conversion goals. These goals include items such as how many visitors completed your contact form, subscribed to your newsletter, and downloaded your free offer. Link these actions (clicking a button) to an event in Google Analytics. Each time a visitor clicks on your lead generation button, it fires an event in Google Analytics. This event firing tracking requires some extra code placed on the website element you want to track. The Google Tag Manager helps create this code and all you do is add it to the appropriate area of your website.

Better data reporting

With this added information, you create better data reporting from Google Analytics. For example, discover which social media produces the most leads. With this data, you can take steps to improve your conversion rates. You can change your lead generation form. You can change your free offer. The goal is to discover what works best for your website. Then focus on doing more of the activities that produce the best lead generation results.

Out of the box, Google Analytics only goes so far in supplying actionable information. Set up Google Analytics to track conversions and use the data to discover how well your website is doing at converting visitors to leads. Lead generation is especially important for increasing the number of new customers to your business.

Share This